Pearl Care and Maintenance: Tips on How to Clean, Store, and Care for Your Pearl Jewelry to Ensure Its Lasting Beauty
Pearls are delicate gems that require proper care and maintenance to preserve their luster, color, and beauty. In this guide, we will provide tips on how to clean, store, and care for your pearl jewelry to ensure its lasting charm.
- Cleaning Your Pearls:
- After each wear, gently wipe your pearls with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove any traces of perfume, sweat, or dirt. This will help maintain their luster and prevent build-up of residue.
- Clean your pearls occasionally with a mild soapy solution (using a gentle soap) and lukewarm water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners, ammonia, or chlorine as they can damage the pearl's surface.
- To clean your pearls, immerse them briefly in the soapy water, and then use a soft cloth or a gentle brush to remove any dirt. Rinse the pearls thoroughly with clean, lukewarm water.
- Lay the pearls on a clean, soft towel to dry. Make sure they are completely dry before storing them to prevent the growth of mold or mildew.
- Storing Your Pearls:
- Store your pearls separately from other jewelry pieces to prevent them from being scratched or damaged. Use a soft pouch, a separate compartment in your jewelry box, or a pearl folder designed specifically for pearl storage.
- Avoid storing your pearls in airtight containers or plastic bags, as pearls need some humidity to maintain their luster. Excessive dryness can cause pearls to become brittle and crack.
- Keep your pearls away from direct sunlight, heat, or extreme cold to prevent discoloration or damage.
- Wearing Your Pearls:
- Put on your pearls after applying makeup, perfume, and hair products. These substances can damage the pearl's surface and affect its luster over time.
- Remove your pearls before engaging in activities that may expose them to chemicals, such as swimming or cleaning, as these can also harm the pearls.
- Pearls can be damaged by perspiration. If you plan to wear your pearls in a hot or humid environment, consider wearing them over clothing to minimize direct contact with your skin.
- Restringing Your Pearls:
- If you wear your pearl necklace or bracelet frequently, consider having it restrung periodically, preferably once a year or every two years, depending on the frequency of use. This will ensure the silk or nylon thread remains strong and prevents the pearls from falling off if the thread breaks.
- When restringing, it's a good idea to have small knots placed between each pearl. This will prevent the pearls from rubbing against each other and also minimize the risk of losing multiple pearls if the thread were to break.
By following these pearl care and maintenance tips, you can keep your pearl jewelry looking beautiful and lustrous for many years to come. Remember, taking proper care of your pearls is essential to preserving their timeless elegance and charm.
Hand-selected and individually inspected pearls ensure our highest quality standards.
Fair & Transparent Pricing.
Jewelry up to 80% below traditional retail prices. Luxury without the markup.
Free Shipping Worldwide.
On orders over $49 USD
BECOME A HOUSE MEMEBER
Drop your email below and we'll send you members-only discount.